Mixed martial arts (MMA), also known as cage fighting, is a full-contact combat sport that is made up of many forms of martial arts such Karate, Wrestling, Judo, Qigong, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Thai boxing, Kickboxing, Jiu-jitsu, and other kinds of martial arts around the world.
The United States founded a tournament for Mixed Martial Arts, which became popular in the world known as the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), where UFC fighters from around the world engage in the ultimate fighting arena. It showcases their martial art skills with almost no holds barred except for some rules that make the fight professional as well as to protect the health of the fighters. Such rules include the prohibition of illegal blows like groin strikes, biting, head butting, hair pulling, and other similar acts. Gloves that protect the fists, time limits, and weight divisions are established to make the fights fair. There are nine weight classes in MMA that are:
- Flyweight (up to 125 lb / 56.7 kg)
- Bantamweight (up to 135 lb / 61.2 kg)
- Featherweight (up to 145 lb / 65.8 kg)
- Lightweight (up to 155 lb / 70.3 kg)
- Welterweight (up to 170 lb / 77.1 kg)
- Middleweight (up to 185 lb / 83.9 kg)
- Lightweight (up to 205 lb / 93.0 kg)
- Heavyweight (up to 265 lb / 120.2 kg)
- Super heavyweight with no upper weight limit.
Martial Arts Styles
Mixed Martial Arts fighting is made up of multiple fighting techniques originating from all kinds of places around the world. The most common fighting styles in the MMA society are:
- Brazilian Jiu-jitsu – is a self-defense martial art and combat sport from Brazil based on grappling, ground fighting, and submission hold that focuses on controlling the opponent by gaining a dominant position to force them into submission through chokeholds and joint locks.
- Karate – is a predominantly striking art from Japan that uses punches, kicks, knee strikes, and open-handed techniques such as knife-hands, spear-hands, and palm-heel strikes. Grappling, throws, joint strikes, and vital point strikes are also within the realm of Karate.
- Judo – is another Japanese modern martial art that evolved into a combat and Olympic sport. Judo’s most prominent features are the throws and takedowns of an opponent to the ground, immobilizing or subduing them with a joint lock or choke.
- Taekwondo –is a martial art of self-defense originating from Korea that emphasizes kicks such as head-height kicks, jumping spinning kicks, and fast kicking techniques with kicks and striking being above waist height. Blocks, punches, and open-handed strikes, as well as throws, take-downs, and joint locks, are also trained in Taekwondo, developing balance, flexibility, and stamina.
- Muay Thai –is a martial art from Thailand that makes use of punches, kicks, elbow, and knee strikes—using eight points of contact, unlike the traditional four points of contact (hands and feet). MMA usually caters to many users of Muay Thai.
- Chinese Martial arts –come from many martial arts schools, but the most common ones are Kung Fu, Tai Chi, and Qigong. Kung Fu is the fighting style that has various forms, including the mimicry of animals or training methods inspired by old Chinese philosophies. Tai Chi and Qigong, on the other hand, are internal Chinese martial arts practiced for both self-defense and the health benefits and meditation it carries. Some forms of these martial arts are well known due to its slow movements as it promotes moving meditation, deep rhythmic breathing, and a calm meditative state of mind.
Pinnacle Martial Arts
Pinnacle Martial Arts is an academy that offers martial arts for the kids as well as jiu-jitsu training and classes for the youth. Youth martial arts classes teach the application of techniques to overcome strength and power, without relying on brute force, size, or aggression, to prosper. It also promotes child discipline and development of physical awareness, balance, flexibility, and coordination, resulting in strong self-confidence and healthy self-esteem at an early stage.
Adult jiu-jitsu and other adult martial arts classes are also available if you want to get in shape or if you wish to train for the competitive scene, in preparation to become a martial arts fighter. You can also join us if you simply want to be engaged in a healthy and active lifestyle. For any questions, contact us now and let us help you get started on your journey to health and fitness.